Reader in International Relations
Matt McDonald joined the School of Political Science and International Studies in January 2010. After completing his PhD at UQ in 2003, Matt held lectureship posts in international relations at the University of New South Wales and the University of Birmingham (UK), and was Associate Professor in International Security at the University of Warwick (UK). His research focuses on critical theoretical approaches to security and their application to issues such as environmental change, Australian foreign and security policy, climate politics and Asia-Pacific security dynamics. He has published on these themes in journals such as European Journal of International Relations, Political Geography, Review of International Studies, Security Dialogue, International Political Sociology and Australian Journal of Political Science. He is the author of Security, the Environment and Emancipation (Routledge 2012) and (with Anthony Burke and Katrina Lee-Koo) Ethics and Global Security (Routledge 2014). He is co-editor of Australian Journal of Politics and History.
- (with Anthony Burke and Katrina Lee-Koo), Ethics and Global Security: A Cosmopolitan Approach (Routledge, 2014)
- Security, the Environment and Emancipation: Contestation over Environmental Change (Routledge, 2012).
- (with Mark Beeson), The Politics of Climate Change in Australia. Special Issue of Australian Journal of Politics and History, 59:3 (2013).
- (with Tim Dunne), The Politics of Liberal Internationalism, Special Issue of International Politics, 50:1 (2013).
- (with Anthony Burke), Critical Security in the Asia-Pacific (Manchester: Manchester UP, 2007).
Refereed Journal Articles
- (with Anthony Burke and Katrina Lee-Koo) 'Ethics and Global Security', Journal of Global Security Studies,1:1 (2016), pp. 64-79
- 'Australian Foreign Policy under the Abbott Government: Foreign Policy as Domestic Politics?' Australian Journal of International Affairs 69:6 (2015), pp 651-669.
- 'Discourses of Climate Security', Political Geography, 33 (2013), pp.43-51.
- (with Christopher S. Browning),'The Future of Critical Security Studies: Ethics and the Politics of Security', European Journal of International Relations 19:2 (2013), pp.235-55.
- 'The Failed Securitization of Climate Change in Australia', Australian Journal of Political Science, 47:4 (2012), pp.579-92.
- 'Lest we Forget: The Politics of Memory and Australian Military Intervention', International Political Sociology, 4:3 (2010), pp.287-302.
- 'Securitization and the Construction of Security', European Journal of International Relations, 14:4 (2008), pp.563-87.
- (with Katharine Gelber) 'Ethics and Exclusion: Representations of Sovereignty in Australia's Approach to Asylum-Seekers', Review of International Studies, 32:2 (2006), pp.269-89.
- 'Fair Weather Friend? Australia's Approach to Global Climate Change', Australian Journal of Politics and History, 51:2 (2005), pp. 216-34.
- 'Human Security and the Construction of Security', Global Society, 16:3 (2002), pp. 277-95.
Matt has been interviewed on television and radio, and has contributed opinion editorials to The Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian Literary Review, Australian Outlook, ABC's The Drum, Insight and is a regular contributor to The Conversation. For his recent articles in The Conversation, see here: https://www.theconversation.com/profiles/matt-mcdonald-12655/articles